Deborah Ikeda started her career as an elementary school teacher for two years before returning to the University of Illinois to complete her Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology.
She started work as a Counselor for Loop City College, one of the Chicago City Colleges, in 1977. Eventually she became an Assistant Dean of Academic Support Services. Moving to California in 1981, she became the Associate Dean of Students, Counseling and Guidance at Fresno City College.
She served as the Interim Vice President of Instruction for Fresno City College for one year (2003-2004) before becoming the Vice President of Instruction and Student Services for the North Centers in 2005, where she led the effort to generate millions of dollars in grant funding to support the college.
She became President of Clovis Community College in July 2012, where she led the accreditation effort to start a new college, Clovis Community College, which became the 113th California Community College in July 2015.
Deborah served on the California Community College Executive Board of Chief Instructional Officers. She has also served on the California Community College Chancellor’s Office Advisory Committee for Matriculation and served in a similar capacity for the Counseling Advisory Committee.
She and her husband, Dale, were inducted into the City of Clovis Hall of Fame in June 2013, named a Portrait of Success by KSEE TV and named one of the “Top Ten Professional Women” by the Marjorie Mason Center in 2014. Ms. Ikeda was named the Bill F. Stewart Achievement of Excellence Award Winner for 2016 and she has been named the League of Women Voters Women’s Equality Day Award recipient for 2016.
Your Area 6 Trustee
Currently serve on the State Center Community College District Board of Trustees to ensure students are our highest priority. Proudly representing the citizens of Area 6 since 2016.
Serving on the statewide Community College League of California, advocating for state legislation to ensure California Community College students receive adequate support.
Served on the Citizens Review Panel to ensure tax dollars are spent on approved items for the Fresno County Library System. No incidents of inappropriate spending happened during my tenure on this board. I never exceeded my budget as an administrator of SCCCD.
Founding President of Clovis Community College who led the successful accreditation process which resulted in the new college being approved in July 2015 (retired as President in August 2016).
Serving on the National Association of Community College Trustees Committee to lobby for adequate funding for community colleges and community college students.
Measure C Bonds
Will ensure the Measure “C” Bond money will be spent efficiently to build a new Police and Fire Academy. I will also ensure bond funds are used to build new vocational training facilities so our students are being trained for real life jobs.
- National Association of Community College Trustees-Elected to Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Community College League of CA – Chair of Asian Pacific Islander & Administrators Caucus
- Saint Agnes Hospital—Past Board of Trustees Chair
- The Citizens Review Panel for Measure B (a sales tax passed to support the Fresno County Public Library)
- California Health Science University—Board of Trustees
- Clovis Chamber of Commerce—Past Board Chair
- City of Clovis—Economic Development Strategic Update Committee
- California State Superintendent—Education Advisory Council— Asian Pacific Islander Affairs
- Federal of Education—Grant Applications Consultant
- Fresno Assembly Center Memorial Project Committee
- Pinedale Assembly Center Memorial Plaza Committee
- Women’s Foundation of California—Board of Directors
- Golden Valley Girl Scout Council—Board Member
- Friends of the Fresno County Library—President
- Central California Asian Pacific Women’s Group—President and Board Member
- Fresno Japanese American Citizens League—President
- National Japanese American Citizens League Strategic Planning effort —Chairperson